JUST IN! 20 Members Ng Abu Sayyaf Patay Sa Airstrike Ng Gobyerno Sa Sumisip, Basilan!
20 Abu Sayyaf members were reportedly killed as the Philippine Air Force’s newly acquired FA-50 fighter jets bombarded and destroyed an Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) camp in Sumisip, Basilan.
According to Army’s 4th Special Forces Battalion commander Lt. Col. Andrew Bacala Jr., the government FA-50 fighter jets “delivered deadly payload, inflicting heavy casualties to the ASGs.”
“The ASGs were shocked. They abandoned most of their personal belongings and left unfinished meal at their encampment,” said assault leader Bacala.
“The supersonic jet’s swooshing sound may have sounded as a whisper of death to the ASGs,” Bacala added.
Artillery and mortar fires followed immediately after the airstrikes.
Joint Task Force Basilan commander Col. Juvymax Uy stated that the joint troops from the 4th Special Forces and 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion launched a ground assault against the group of Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Furuji Indama in Barangay Pamatsaken, Sumisip.
“Our troops were able to cordon the enemy due to the accurate and timely indirect fires and close support delivered by our artillery and the Philippine Air Force’s,” Uy said.
“Also, the information being volunteered by the populace and LGUs provided critical information to validate the intelligence we have on hand,” he added.
Bacala said the troops overran the Abu Sayyaf camp seated on a hilltop before 10 a.m. Thursday. There were 12 makeshift tents that could accommodate around 40 people.
“Heavy bloodstains were found in the vicinity, with intelligence reports saying no less than 20 ASG member were killed by the combined airstrike and indirect fires,” according to a report by the military.
Recovered in the area were food supplies and bomb-making components capable of fabricating 30 improvised explosive devices (IED).
The Abu Sayyaf bandits, unlike in previous firefights, evaded the government troops as their resources are running low, Uy said.
“We no longer experience prolonged firefights with the ASGs. This suggests that they are running out of ammunition and other supplies necessary to engage government forces. More than just resources, they ‘no longer have the mass base’ they once enjoyed,” he said.
Information given by captured ASG members earlier were great factors which helped the good results of the operation, particularly the whereabouts of the bandits.
After President Rodrigo Duterte's order to address to the ASG problem last January resulted in the military has intensified its operation.
A minimum 60 bandits across the island provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi were killed by the military so far.
LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE MGA KA-DDS