Watch the LIVE coverage of PTV Peoples Television as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe meets with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
HIGHLIGHTS below by News 5 Everywhere:
- Pres. Duterte: PM Abe and I discussed the ways for further strengthening bilateral ties and enhancing our maritime and security cooperation.
- Pres. Duterte: Capacity building and assets acquisition and upgrading will be a centerpiece in this collaboration. We hope to fast track the acquisition of assets.
- Pres. Duterte: Peace and development in the Southern Philippines continue to be a priority in both countries.
- Pres. Duterte: Japan is a proven partner for peace. It will continue to be one. We are grateful.
- Japan PM Abe: I'm very happy to meet with Pres. Duterte. I'm very honored to be the first guest he received.
- Japan PM Abe: I chose the Philippines as the first overseas visit of the year, emphasizing my relationship with Duterte and the Philippines.
- Japan PM Abe: We will leverage Japanese tech to the fullest extent for the improvement of infra in Metro Manila and the Philippines.
- Japan PM Abe: We will continue to provide support for the peace and development in Mindanao including flood control in Davao.
- Japan PM Abe: We will tap private knowledge in treatment facilities to curb illegal drugs.
- Japan PM Abe: I shall visit Pres. Duterte's hometown in Davao tomorrow as the first foreign guest to do so.